10 Things you can do to Maximize Your Income Tax Refund


It's Tax Refund Season!

“When it comes to taxes, there are two types of people. There are those that get it done early, and then the rest of us.” – Jimmy Kimmel

You worked hard all year, paid your dues and now its time to claim it back! For the working veterans, this is a walk in the park go to your tax guy and they handle everything. For some, this may be your first rodeo! Have no fear, you haven't missed anything yet.

The 2017 Income Tax refund season is upon us and workers can start filing as soon as January 29th, 2018. If you haven't received your W-2's already, expect them to arrive within the next couple of weeks, hopefully by January 31st. If February starts rolling around and you haven't received anything, contact your employer/ former employer(s) directly. 

We have made a list of the top 10 things you will need for filing taxes this year. The top 3 most forgotten paper work people forget are their W-2's, bank information and forms.


Here are 10 general things you need to bring to your Tax Preparer:

  1. W-2's - proof you worked
  2. Taxpayer's ID - drivers license 
  3. Proof of Health Insurance (1095 is a must)
  4. Proof of Residency for dependents (1095's, school letter, doctor letter - that shows name, address and year 2017)
  5. Children(s) name, date of birth and SSN
  6. Rental income/ expenses
  7. Mortgage interest and taxes
  8. 1098T (Tuition statements for those in school)
  9. 1099Int or 1099Div (Interest and Dividends) - these are savings accounts, checking accounts, investment accounts such as mutual funds, stocks, basically any financial instrument that earns interest or dividends.
  10. 1099R's (Retirement forms)/ 1099SSA for those receiving Social Security Retirement Income. 

here's a tip:

Most tax services today will offer a direct deposit of your refund so its a great idea to bring your banking information to your appointment.

Looking for someone to do your taxes?

Whatever the reason may be, if you are planning on switching to a different tax office, you will need last years return for the new guy.

Puma Accounting, located at 117 West Liberty Street, Rome, New York, is accepting walk-in's and new clients!